University of Southern California – 1993
Diploma: Management Development Program in Health Care
Licensed in California – 1980
License #: PSY 6456 – California Board of Psychology
Reciprocity was granted for all clinical courses undergraduate and postgraduate in clinical psychology, neuropsychology, psychopathology and psychological assessment prior to being admitted to National and State examinations in 1980
Sponsored for American residency, by Long Beach Neuropsychiatric Institute, and University of California Irvine Department of psychiatry, psychiatrist Prof. J. Cohn MD
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology – 1977; University of South Africa
PhD program in South Africa, primarily within the so-called British Medical Model, with specific focus on neuroscience, neuropsychology, clinical psychological evaluation of all neuropsychological and psychiatric disorders, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, brain injury, post-concussive disorders, and all behavioral and functional disorders arising out of neurological and neuropsychiatric diseases. Training conducted in conjunction with the University Medical School Department of Psychiatry and Neurology. Broad clinical practice opportunities during residency within the community psychiatry programs in multiple outpatient clinics, senior center homes, dementia or Alzheimer’s facilities for evaluation of patients, clinical diagnostic training, introduction to EEG and MRI scanning, drug trial evaluations for major pharmaceutical companies, grand rounds in Department of psychiatry and neurology.
Doctoral Dissertation: A Critical Evaluation of a Rehabilitation and Resocialization in a Schizophrenia Program in a Halfway House
M.A., Clinical Psychology – 1972; University of South Africa
Broad Master’s Degree level of training with focus on neuroscience, neuropsychology, brain dysfunction in children leading to attention deficit disorders, learning problems, and dyslexia, as well as affective and behavioral disorders in children. Extensive training in the administration of all children psychological evaluation instruments devoted to psychiatric problems of children and adolescents, attention deficit disorder, all learning disability issues, with practical internships within schools for children with special needs, developmentally disabled, learning disabled, and in-patient adolescent psychiatry units. Two years of rotation through all aspects of child psychiatry and psychology units with special focus on psychological evaluation, report writing, and representation to school programs for remediation.
Master’s Thesis: The Role of Manifest Anxiety in Children with Reading Disability
B.A., Psychology and Sociology Majors – 1969; University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
Clinical Internship – 1974-1975
Weskoppies Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa
Clinical internship at large state hospital above, involving rotations through all units including admission units for general anxiety disorders, major depressive disorders, bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, and dementia. Forensic training and evaluation within the state hospital to evaluate patients for the insanity defense, committed to the hospital for 28 days of evaluation prior to trial. Specific training and practice in all aspects of forensic evaluation and participation in report presentation representing the State. Intense training in neuroscientific underpinnings of all psychiatric and psychological disorders and appropriate psychological tests used it in in forensic and clinical evaluations.
Clinical Residency – 1975-1978; Sterkfontein State Hospital, South Africa
Recent Post Graduate Studies
- Couples Treatment: An Object Relations Perspective. 1/21/2018
- A New Model of Attention Deficit Disorder (3 CEs)1/5/2018
- Utilizing Phase-Oriented Treatment & Adjunctive Interventions to Regulate Arousal in Trauma Treatment. 11/9/2017
- Clinicians in Court: A guide Subpoenas, Depositions & Testifying, March 2017
- The 10 core competencies of trauma and PTSD, grief and loss. July 2015
- Mindfulness and the health care professions
- Post-traumatic and Acute Stress Disorders: The Latest Assessment and Treatment Strategies
- Developments in Ethics and Law 2/6/16
- California Law and Ethics 1/20/16
- DSM-5: A Comprehensive Overview. 10/19/15
- Trauma Competency Conference, August 2015
- Older Adults and Mental Health 10/21/15
- Spousal or Partner Abuse Assessment, Detection and Intervention Strategies
- Head Trauma
- Challenges in Using Opioids to Treat Pain in Persons with Substance Use Disorders
- Brain and Spinal Tumors: Hope Through Research; October 2013
- Management of Concussion/Mild Traumatic Brain Injury – Evidence Based Practice; October 2013
- Penetrating Defenses to Awaken the Self: Susan Warren Warshow, LCSW; Jon Frederickson, Two-day Seminar; Los Angeles September 28-29, 2013
- Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture of Bullying. By Emily Bazalon
- Presentation at Yale University, February 26, 2013
- MMPI-2-RF: Forensic Practice Briefing: January, 29 2013 Y. Ben Porath PhD; Kent State University: Webinar
- The Iraq War Clinician Guide, November 2011 Topics Specific to the Psychiatric Treatment
- of Military Personnel, National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Ethical Boundaries Mental Health, November 2011
- Sexual Problems in Adult Survivors of Sexual Trauma, Assessment, Treatment, and Managing
- Countertransference, November 2011
- Attachment and the Therapist; David Wallin Ph.D.; May 20, 2011
- The Immune System: Mind Body Connection; Institute for Brain Potential, April 8, 2011
- Unbearable Moments in Childhood and their Eruptions in Adult Life: Toward a Convergence of
- Neurobiology and Psychoanalysis, February 12, 2011
- Trauma, PTSD & Grief; Seminar by Michael Rank, Ph.D., October 27, 2010
- NVAA: The Justice System and Victim Services, November 2009
- HIPPA Overview, November 2009
- Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults; Practice Guidelines by the American Psychiatric Association,
- November 2009 On-site Professional Seminar on Addictive Disorders. Sierra Tucson, January 22‑25, 2009 Re-purposing in Dual Disorder Patients: Using Coaching Tools to Rapidly Generate Perspective
- Hope & Momentum; Orange County: January 15, 2009 Anatomy of Intimacy; Neurobiology of Intimate Attachments, 2008
- Chronic Pain, Seminar, Irvine, June 6, 2007
- Healthy Addictions & Passions; Seminar, Institute for Brain Potential, Irvine, April 16, 2007
- Mindfulness & Therapeutic Skills; Seminar, Anaheim, January 31, 2007
- Law & Ethics: Risk Management in Clinical Practice; Seminar, October 28th 2006
- Self-Destructive Emotions; Seminar, Irvine, October 18, 2005
- Secrets of the Aging Mind; Seminar, September 24, 2005
- Law & Ethics: Risk Management in Clinical Practice; Seminar, Irvine, June 17, 2005
- Mind and Body in the Treatment of Psychological Trauma; Los Angeles, February 11, 2005
- Bridges for Healing, Couples Therapy, Neurobiology & Pharmacology; La Jolla, February 2005
- Anxiety Disorders: Research, Diagnosis & Treatment; Irvine, California; March 3, 2005
- Understanding and Treating Domestic Violence, Costa Mesa, November 1, 2003
- Promoting Change: Trauma & Intimacy; San Diego, May 2-3, 2003
- Integrating Treatments for PTSD; San Diego, July 2002
- Trauma and Personality Disorders; San Diego July 2002 with Louise Gaston Ph.D., world renowned
- expert on
- research in PTSD, Prof. McGill University, Montreal
- Practical Treatment Approaches to PTSD & Borderline Personality Disorders; June 2002, Los Angeles
- Healing Trauma: Attachment, Trauma, The Brain and the Mind, March 2001, UC San Diego; Understanding and Treating Trauma, Developmental and Neurobiological Approaches; January/February 1998, UCLA,
- (Bessel van der Kolk (Harvard) Allen Schore UCLA et al.) Personal Communications with Bessel van der Kolk, MD, International Expert, author, on issues relative to Survivors of Singapore Airlines Crash
- Personal Communications with Louise Gaston Ph.D., world renowned expert on research in PTSD, Prof. McGill University Montreal, on issues relative to ongoing cases.
- Highly experienced clinical psychologist with winning record of testimony, depositions, and psychological evaluations.
- Extensive Experience in Personal Injury
- Evaluations focusing on demonstrating cognitive and mental impairments through effective testing and dynamic clinical evaluation. Forensic psychological evaluations for psychologically traumatized patients of all ages.
- Very effective communicator.
- Consults on a broad range of psychiatric and psychological issues including neuropsychological deficits in personal injury, post-traumatic stress, post concussive syndrome, medical malpractice, mental competence, appropriateness/limitations of neuropsychological tests.
- Qualitative assessment of cognitive and mental impairments through effective testing and dynamic clinical evaluation.
- Forensic evaluations for psychologically traumatized patients of all ages. Assists attorneys in formulating questions for deposition and trial relative to field of expertise.
- Expert witness for Plaintiff and Defense. Served as expert in several high profile cases.
Psychological Testing and Evaluation
- Over 30 years of experience in use of psychological tests for evaluation, diagnosis, analysis of psychological profiles, psychiatric illnesses, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), intellectual abilities, aptitudes, brain function, neuropsychological deficits, and Fitness for Duty.
- Held contract with State of California, State Personnel Bureau, for evaluation and assessment of Fitness for Duty for 29 state agencies that are required by state law to have mental health evaluation and clearance prior to hiring. The agencies include California Highway Patrol, Department of Youth Authority, District Attorney’s Office, Firefighters, Department of Justice, State Park Peace Officers, Alcohol and Beverage Control, Lottery Officials, Lifeguard, Department of Insurance Fraud Investigators, Fish and Game officers, Forestry, and several other departments.
- Evaluation involves clinical interview and review and interpretation of Psychological Testing, including MMPI-II, Millon Personality Inventory.
- Experienced in use and interpretation of most standardized psychological testing which form an important part of the Fitness for Duty Evaluation, particularly the “blue chip” tests which include, the Wechsler Intelligence Scale, MMPI-II, Millon-III, wide range of neuropsychological tests, Delis-Kaplan Executive Function System, academic achievement and potential instruments, Rorschach Inkblot Test, Thematic Apperception Test and Detailed Assessment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Test., California Verbal Learning Test, Boston Naming Test and others. Experienced in assembling test batteries that reflect, not only the criteria being measured, but also a number of additional factors, including:
Extensive Experience in Personal Injury
- Evaluations focusing on demonstrating cognitive and mental impairments through effective testing and dynamic clinical evaluation. Forensic psychological evaluations for psychologically traumatized patients of all ages. Expert witness for both Plaintiff and Defense.